The High Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development (HLPF) is the main United Nations platform dealing with sustainable development, and was formally established in July 2013. It meets every year under the auspices of the Economic and Social Council, and every four years under the auspices of the General Assembly.
Its mandate is to:
- provide political leadership and recommendations for sustainable development,
- follow-up and review progress in implementing sustainable development commitments,
- enhance the integration of economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development,
- have a focused, dynamic and action-oriented agenda,
- consider new and emerging sustainable development challenges,
- take on the functions of the ECOSOC Annual Ministerial Reviews on the Sustainable Development goals.
In 2017, the theme is “Eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing world”. The set of goals to be reviewed in depth will be 6 goals, including Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development, that will be considered each year. For the Jeune S3 Alliance the most important Goals that are under review are the following:
Goal 3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
Goal 5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
The Jeune S3 Alliance with its program in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Central African Republic, and Cameroon and Benin contribute towards both SDGs above and specifically to the following targets:
- 3.7. ’by 2030, ensure universal access to sexual and reproductive health-care services, including family planning, information and education, and the integration of reproductive health into national strategies and programs.’
- 5.6,’ensure universal access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights as agreed in accordance with the Programme of Action of the International Conference on Population and Development and the Beijing Platform for Action and the outcome documents of their review conferences.
- 5.2: Eliminate all forms of violence against all women and girls in the public and private spheres, including trafficking and sexual and other types of exploitation
- 5.3: Eliminate all harmful practices, such as child, early and forced marriage and female genital mutilation
The Jeune S3 program uniquely combines both goals and targets in fragile settings with emphasis on meaningful youth participation. Thus, the UNHLPF provides an opportunity to share with key stakeholders how the Jeune S3 program combines interventions on women and youth empowerment, improved governance, civil society engagement through a human rights lens.