The World YWCA is a global women’s right movement. In over 100 countries, we work with women, young women, and girls across faith, culture, and region. World YWCA is the largest organization of its kind, engaging millions of people each year. We believe that when women rise to leadership they transform power structures and policies around human rights, gender equality, peace, and justice. We support young women as they connect, inspire, mobilise and act for transformational change, for a sustainable world.
Who we are:
- Founded in 1855, we are one of the oldest international women’s organisations in the world.
- Our rich diversity includes women from different faiths, backgrounds, beliefs and cultures.
- We are committed to girls, young women women’s full and equal participation in society
- We use a human rights and young women’s engagement approach
- We support the action of millions of young women worldwide for gender equality and social change
- We promote an intergenerational approach and shared and transformative leadership
- We believe that when women rise to leadership they transform power structures and policies around human rights, gender equality, peace, and justice.
- We work in collaboration with partner organisations including women’s networks, ecumenical, youth and international organisations, and UN agencies.
Our key actions:
- Mobilise young women and nurture young women leaders
- Influence laws, policies and institutions on young women’s representation and participation
- Facilitate and support the participation of young women in regional and global policy and decision-making platforms
- Develop leadership tools and models for young women worldwide
- Knowledge sharing and building young women’s capacity to drive change
- Promoting intergenerational and transformative leadership and advocacy at local, national, regional and global levels
- Create safe spaces for young women
See overview here.