The World YWCA stands strong in the belief that human rights and international law must be affirmed and protected for all. On International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People, we delivered a joint statement at the United Nations Office in Geneva , highlighting our support to Palestine’s right to self determination as guaranteed in UN Resolutions 242 and 338. We affirmed the role of women in peace building and conflict resolution at all levels and we expressed our deep concern on the escalating acts of violence against Palestinians, particularly against young people.
We believe young people are key agents of change for peace building and for a sustainable future which promotes justice, respect and security.
Click here to read full statement: Statement on the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People 2018
Watch the video of the statement here
Read blog powerful blog written by our long term intern Jade Brady: Dreaming Peace & Solidarity In Palestine: A Visit Diary
Key asks included:
- Calling for the End of Israeli Occupation and support the Palestinians to establish their independent sovereign State. There can be no peace, security and justice under Occupation;
- Demanding that governments implement all the above mentioned UN resolutions pertaining to Palestine and consider and enforce all economic, political and cultural rights for Palestinians;
- Calling for the freedom of all detainees held under administrative detention, especially women, youth, and children;
- Calling on the international community to support the global boycott, divestment, and sanctions (BDS) movement to put economic pressure on Israel until it respects international law;
- Continue to support the International Criminal Court’s investigation into possible war crimes committed in Gaza in 2014, as well as the crimes against humanity in occupied East Jerusalem and the West Bank.